Saturday, April 21, 2012

Disarmed



Soldier
standing with your back turned
my lifeless fingers
hooked into your shoulder
Listen to me

Let the cry
from this silent throat
let this stiffened arm
thrust you toward new purpose

Love not
death’s debris
seek not
the thrill of living
among mangled corpses

Go back
tell your people:
call home
the cohorts
ground the flying murder
machines

For what do they know
of our timeworn hills
where goats
long have grazed
on blood-fed grasses?

Do they think to make
fresh shoots sprout
in valleys
where women
and children
were shot down?

Soldier
standing with your back turned
start marching straight ahead
and do not stop
for a photo op
until you've done
all I just said

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    I've nominated you for a beautiful blog award.All I ask of you, my nominees, in return is to:

    thank and link-back to your nominator
    Nominate 7, 6, or fewer (or more) other blogs that you enjoy to receive this award as well
    Post a comment on each of your nominees blogs with a link to your page for the details
    Paste the Award image somewhere on your blog, you can copy it from here and then re-use it.
    And, continue blogging all your beautiful thoughts, suggestions, and musings. More readers are coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Wildgeese!

    Hope I'm doing the link-back correctly:

    http://geese.wordpress.com

    I'll nominate others too!

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.