Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In other words, walk a mile in their shoes...

 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.  To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.  I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. (1Cor 9:19-23)

 The above passage from St. Paul's first Letter to the Corinthians came to mind when I heard  Pastor Terry Jones' plan to hold International Burn a Koran Day on 9/11. Paul, who dedicated his life to spreading the word about Jesus, not only refrained from insulting others' beliefs but put himself in their place, walked in their shoes, became one of them, "for the sake of the Gospel." 

Quite a different approach...

2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely response - it seems beyond belief that a small "church" with a congregation of 50 could be having such an impact on an international stage... I wonder whether Pastor Jones is going to be burning bibles in response to those "radical Christians" the Ku-klux klan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really starting to wonder about what we call news in this country. Why should Rev. Jones be getting so much attention? The President, Hillary Clinton, Gen. Gates...good grief! I'm sure this has all been very satisfying to his megalomaniacal (did I spell that right??) personality.

    But what I really can't get over is the name of his church: Dove World Outreach Center. I mean, seriously...dove, as in peace...world, as in the opposite of provincial...and outreach, as in open and accepting. Seems like up is down and black is white these days :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.