Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Crossan on Justice and Love
My proposal is that justice and love are a dialectic--like two sides of a coin that can be distinguished but not separated. We think of ourselves as composed of body and soul, or flesh and spirit. When they are separated, we have a physical corpse. Similarly, with distributive justice and communal love. Justice is the body of love, love the soul of justice. Justice is the flesh of love, love is the spirit of justice. When they are separated, we have a moral corpse. Justice without love is brutality. Love without justice is banality.
--John Dominic Crossan. God and Empire: Jesus against Rome, Then and Now. (p. 190) HarperSanFrancisco, 2007.
I don't really know what to add to that one...except that Crossan explains why, in spite of how futile it sometimes feels, that I believe that I must be an activist for peace and justice, doing the little bit that I can.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great quote. I am looking forward to reading this book - it arrived last week. Crossan is doing a workshop in Sheffield this autumn on St Paul - not sure I can make it though. Borg is here next year - got my ticket for that weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.