Saturday, May 19, 2007

Hidden in plain sight

It's gotten to be a Saturday morning ritual. (Do not be alarmed, fellow Friends. It's a non-religious ritual.) I get up and do some serious reading on the Web while drinking my morning coffee. My job has become too hectic --a meeting at this hour, squeezing in work on a report the next hour ... each of my working hours spoken for by the boss or a colleague for some task or other. So sitting in front of my laptop for a couple of hours of reading, actually sitting in one place doing one thing and not worrying about an obligation that will come due when the minute hand reaches twelve again, is a luxury and a pleasure.

OK, so most of this time is spent reading liberal-ass websites. Forgive my un-Quakerly language, but I just don't know how else to express it. Websites like Commondreams, the Huffington Post, etc. If you want the links, you'll find them to the left. This morning I just discovered a new one: Peninsula Peace and Justice Center's website. Another peace website. I belong to a local peace group. And two anti-torture groups. And the longer I sit in front of my laptop, the more of these groups I uncover. Like the Jesus Gospel site ... remember him? the guy who said that we should love our enemies and bless those who curse us?

And I just found a new commentator, a columnist from Maine, one Christopher Cooper , who minces no words about how pathetic our country's leadership is and how there's little difference between the Republicans and the Democrats.

So I ask myself: with all of us out there, members of this or that peace group who organize and get out the vote, why this war-mongering State, why our elected representatives who cannot deliver a bill to the President and dig their heels in, ready to override his veto and end this horrible war?

How many peace vigils have I participated in since 2001...how many letters written to the President, the vice-president, the Secretary of State, my senators and representatives...how many letters to the editor of my local newspapers? All for the three-ring circus that passes for debate in Congress and that results in no change whatsoever. And how many others like me do this?

Are we really invisible, we who hunger and thirst for justice?

Or perhaps...have we not made enough personal sacrifices?

3 comments:

  1. hmmm...a few words that leapt out at me: luxury, justice, sacrifice.

    unlike people in darfur, iraq, and all the other war torn places in the world, *we* have the luxury to sacrifice our time and a few other resources (personal or corporate) to cry out for justice,. but...are we really sacrificing much?

    we live in a very lucky place. we've never really known what it's like to fear every minute of every day for our lives and the lives of our loved ones. even 9/11 is not equal to the daily, unrelenting knowledge that at any second a IED could go off or a man or woman might commit suicide in a crowded market place, taking you and others with them in their blazing statement of hate.

    we don't know of such things. our children and lovers may come home maimed or dead, but it's not right here right now in your face.

    but that may change.

    so far, we've been saved by the luck of living in a place with very few next door neighbors, unlike africa, europe, the middle east and the ever simmering balkans. i fear that one day we will know what the rest of the world knows, because the world is getting smaller and our relative isolation may not be as protective in this smaller, easier to navigate world.

    as our "leaders" draw us into their plan of perpetual war, i draw my circle ever smaller around me. i cringe for what may be coming because our efforts have been so inadequate. we can't make them listen. they have plugged their ears with oil.

    those liberal-asses need to look at the bigger picture of what's happening (it IS all about energy and power and money) and crank up the volume to expose these bastards.

    and then i guess we just hope that people start listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eta: i was in a rather bleak mood when i wrote the above comment. i guess it comes from constant frustration that no matter how hard people work for peace, the environment, justice, and all of it, nothing ever seems to change. we did this in the 60s and 70s with vietnam, with the environment, civil rights, women's rights, human rights, all the rights!!!

    and we're still doing it. only it's worse now than it was before.

    anyway, i hope you're not mad at me.
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mad? I'm never going to speak to you again ....NOT:-))

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.