Sunday, April 29, 2007

Three Quakers and a Muslim walked into a politician's office... (cont'd)

Friendly Lobbying, Step 2

So I let the local FCNL coordinator know that my request for a visit to the senator's office had been heard and granted. I also let her know that under no circumstances was I going to go alone. She put me in touch with two other Friends interested in speaking with the senator's aide on the Habeas Corpus Restoration Act. One of the Friends, Monica, a homemaker and clerk of her Quarterly Meeting, knew Mazhar, a doctor of the Muslim faith, active in the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), so she contacted him. The other Friend, Michael, was a contractor. When I spoke with him on the phone, I heard his deep sadness for the tragedy that is the Iraq war and for the unjust and inhumane treatment of those taken into custody in conjunction with the war on terror. He was anxious to be part of the lobbying project.

So there we were: three Quakers and a Muslim. Now we just had to get our act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.