Monday, March 12, 2007


Lesson learned this past week about activism

I particularly like this thought of Karen Horst Cobb that I noted in my last blog entry: One honest person can impact more than a multitude.

With responsibilities to a spouse, family, and work, there's just no way that I can participate in all the peace & justice activities that I'd like. When I turn an activity down, I feel guilty that I'm not doing enough to make this world a more peaceful and just place. However, when I get all out of sorts from overwork and too many activities, I turn into a not very loving person. In other words, I do not faithfully live out the ideals that I espouse. I've come to the conclusion that it's crucial for me to maintain a balance in my life -- including down time-- even if I cannot march in all the vigils or attend all the meetings. Otherwise, I'll cease to be the "honest person" that Cobb talks about. I'll turn into a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

___________

Balance pose from Gymnastics Clipart Galore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.