Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Wintry mix, summery dreams

The winter mix had already started falling by the time I left for work. Those big flakes of snow were on a mission. They weren't supposed to make their appearance until "late morning" or noontime, according to AccuWeather meteorologists who, despite doppler radar and satellite tracking, are obviously under equipped. I'm not putting the weather crew down. I know those snowflakes have a mind of their own.

My plan was to leave work at noon to accommodate workmen who were coming to the house. Last evening I was sure I'd miss the snow entirely, but driving to work this morning I wasn't so sure. The flakes grew scarce for a few hours, then returned with reinforce
ments...

The workmen gone, I stood at the window watching the exquisitely tiny flecks falling steadily, almost invisibly against the white sky. And then I picked up the Ghost Ranch catalog and flipped through the summer program descriptions...

Spirituality, a poetry-writing seminar taught by an instructor I had studied with before...peace workshops, service corps (you do chores in exchange for room and board, with enough leisure time to explore the ranch)...
Looking at pictures of mesas, creosote brush and cholla, I thought about the summer and what I'd like to do...

A week at Ghost Ranch, maybe the poetry workshop.


But it's been years since I've been to the shore. The Jersey shore is crowded and expensive. Maybe it's worth getting some information on the Delaware beaches, or shore points even farther south...

In the background my new Putumayo CD Paris is playing ...and I realize that it will be 5 years this summer since I spent those 5 days in the City of Light. Time to go back again? A visit to nearby Versailles this time...or Giverny peut-être...

Actually, there's a good chance we won't be able to go anywhere this summer. Still, dreaming of places to go ...just on the outside chance that we might...is a great way to ignore the wintry mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.