Monday, November 6, 2006


You know you've been working too hard when...
                you have visions of xhtml code in your dreams

That's right. I tossed and turned last night while visions of deprecated html and the latest industry-standard xhtml tags, as well as CSS (cascading style sheets, for the hypertextually mark-up-challenged) selectors and declarations danced in my head. Correction: whirled around in my nightmares.

It all started when I registered for a 5-week online course in CSS. I thought it was time I caught up with modern Web page authoring methodology. What I thought was a basic course turned out to be advanced. I was lost from day 1. Not that our online instructor wasn't understanding -- he just didn't understand that he was talking way above our heads. After feeling as though I'd never catch up, I spend about an hour in my local Barnes & Noble on Saturday sampling CSS books until I found one that explained the hyper-creatures in language I could grasp ... and better yet, the authors even had a sense of humor! If you're ever in the mood ... or maybe I should say, if the madness ever overtakes you... to learn CSS, get yourself a copy of

Elizabeth Freeman & Eric Freeman. Head First HTML with CSS
& XHTML
. Sebatopol, CA: O'Reilly Media, 2006.


Lots of humorous examples, lots of puns (e.g., Starbuzz Coffee), great explanations. The Freeman team is going to get me through this course!

4 comments:

  1. *grin* You have my total sympathy. Once, when totally overworked at my job in a restaurant kitchen, I had nightmares of "garden chicken" (our special that month, sort of a chicken and veggie pasta) chasing me about. I still won't eat anything that even remotely resembles that dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, who knows? I still might not produce anything that even remotely resembles industry-standard CSS :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha--I once worked for a vet who was a notorious meddler. I dreamed one night that I was at work and we had run out of a particular medication, so we called a clinic down the road to ask if we could borrow some. They were also out, so he sent me down there with a contract saying that they had to keep all medications, in all forms, in stock at all times, in case we ran out of something again.

    That's when I started looking for a new job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, to be able to return to the days of Winkin' and Blinkin' and Nod...

    Now Winkin' and Blinkin' are two little eyes and Nod is a little head.

    And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies is a wee one's trundle bed.

    So close your eyes while mother sings of the wonderful sights that be.

    And you shall see those beautiful things as you sail on the misty sea,

    Where the old shoe rocked the fishermen three - Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.