Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Breathing hope into the everyday mess

I detect a somewhat desperate tone in the following prayer by Pastor June Mears Driedger, featured in the latest edition of Peace Signs:

A Plea for God's Help

Oh God, where are you?

You have disappeared from our world,
You have turned your back on us when we desperately need You.

We need you to act and move in this world-
Bombs are flying and falling,
People are dying
While the powers keep talking and talking and not listening and listening.

Oh God, where are you?

You have abandoned us,
You have left us when we desperately need you.

We need you to give us words and voices to talk to the powers--
We need you to break through their words and worlds and cause them to pause, to listen.
We need you to halt the death and destruction that is occurring all over the globe.
We need you.

Oh God, your word promises us that you will never leave us nor forsake us.
Please show yourself to us and to the world.
Please pour out your goodness, your love, your mercy to all of us.
Oh God, please act and move in this world, today and everyday. Amen


http://peace.mennolink.org/cgi-bin/m.pl?a=317

I have to admit that I really identify, as they say. I'm a bit dazed by
  • the report released by the UN revealing that 14,000 Iraqi civilians were killed during first 6 months of 2006.
  • by the leaders of the G8 who appeared on TV Sunday -- I'd have expected them to drop everything and try to get the warring parties in the Middle East to call a truce at least. Instead each of them --are we talking here about the 8 wealthiest, most influential countries in the world?-- seemed more interested in enunciating his/her assessment of who was to blame.
  • Today's extraordinary gesture by the President to save embryos. I sincerely respect the beliefs of those who take a pro-life stance, but in this case there seems a total lack of proportion...saving embryos while doing so little to stop the slaughter of those already walking the earth is something that I'm having a lot of trouble grasping.
7/25/2006 addendum: "The poor man who is currently our president has reached such a point of befuddlement that he thinks stem cell research is the same as taking human lives, but that 40,000 dead Iraqi civilians are progress toward democracy." You said it, Molly!

OK, add to this two nights of meetings:
  • the Financial Stewardship Committee ...trying to keep our miniscule monthly meeting in the black
  • our local Amnesty International chapter ... a handful of faithful persons who show up to write cards and letters on behalf of political prisoners, torture victims, and girls and women sold into the sex trade...Like the apostles, I'm tempted to ask, what are these among so many?
Now I'm going to take a breath, imagine myself sitting at the base of a mesa...and hope some more.
...oh, and I forgot: I'm writing, writing, writing ... to the President, Sec of State, John Bolton, my senators, congressman, newspapers .......Get out there and write too!!!

2 comments:

  1. Don't stop breathing, each breath brings new hope. I was just looking at your love poem again (the one about bombs and bullets) and it seems to bring me hope. I have lived through bullets and bombs and saw first hand how little they can accomplish. Love takes time I know, but will it do the job?

    I would have a crisis of faith if I didn't believe that Love is the only acceptable way forward.

    Peace
    GMC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi gmc,

    I was just rereading the peace statement of the Aotearoa-New Zealand Friends. I really take a lot of strength from it:

    http://quaker.org.nz/whoweare/peace.htm

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. The decision of the blog author is final.